Health Care Assistant
Closing date: 7 January 2021 | Post date: 7 December 2020
Reports directly / Deputy: Theatre & Recovery and Nurse Manager
Area of responsibility: Theatre & Recovery and Clinic
Main tasks and responsibilities of this position:
- The Health Care Assistant (HCA) works under the Theatre Manager in Theatre & Recovery, under indirect supervision of the Nurse Manager in the clinic area and is accountable to both for their working practice.
- This is guided by standard operating procedures and requires the individual to use a degree of initiative.
- The HCA also provides support for other members of the nursing team and contributes towards the coordination of team activities.
- Experience as a support worker is desired but not essential. Good personal skills and a flexible, eager-to-learn and caring attitude will be beneficial in this role.
- The HCA will be a member of a small supportive team in an inclusive environment.
|Reports directly / Deputy||Theatre & Recovery and Nurse Manager|
|Area of responsibility||Theatre & Recovery and Clinic|
|Main tasks and responsibilities of this position:|
|Important single tasks:|
· Work alongside and support the registered nurses
· Maintain work areas in each clinical area so that they are clean, safe and free from hazards reporting any potential risks identified
· Measuring and recording following physiological measurements for routine egg collection or consultation such as:
pulse rate and rhythm
height and weight – body mass index
· Training will be provided if the candidate does not have the above skills
· Prepare and maintain environments and equipment before, during and after patient care interventions
· Act as a chaperone of patients
· Training will be provided to become a scrub practitioner at egg collection and all theatre procedures
· Work in the recovery area under the supervision of a Registered General Nurse and undertake recovery competencies
· Perform venepuncture once trained
· Clean and stock areas, trolleys and cupboards as necessary
· Semen analysis – checking and cleaning of sample room, taking patients to the room
· Make up pots/envelopes using IVF witness system
· Set up and assist at HyCoSY/SIS procedure
· Assist on scan list
· Maintaining, stocking and ordering within the clinical areas to support the nursing team
· Work independently in the clinical area within specified range of competencies, being supported where needed by a registered nurse.
· Liaise with nursing team ensuring that everyone is responsible for their own working environment.
Communication and Documentation:
· Give accurate and appropriate information to patients and groups within own competence
· Communicate effectively with patients, respecting their privacy, dignity and beliefs at all times
· Identify risks involved in work activities and take action to manage the risks
· Manage own time effectively
· Ensure own actions, communication and values support equality, diversity and rights
· Undertake recordkeeping and work within guidelines provided and report any abnormalities
· Be aware of, and if appropriate, assist in current clinical audit
· Contribute to the preparation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and general documentation
· Documenting information and activities with patients in an accurate and timely manner
· Maintain confidentiality or information relating to patients, relatives, staff and the clinic
· Practice within agreed standards of care and individual competency framework
· Take responsibility for own developmental learning and performance, including participating in supervision and maintaining a record of own personal development
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive as there may be other duties or requirements associated with the post which you may be called upon to perform from time to time
Be aware of and adhere to:
|You have access to all facilities within the Herts & Essex Fertility Centre with particular responsibility to the Theatre and Recovery areas|
|Health & safety:|
|All employees must be aware of the responsibility placed on them under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974), to ensure that the agreed safety procedures are carried out to maintain a safe environment for employees and visitors. Individual employees should also refer to specific health and safety requirements within their own job descriptions|
|The post holder must maintain the confidentiality of information about patients’ staff and Centre business in accordance with the data Protection Act 1998|
|The Herts & Essex Fertility Centre has adopted an equal opportunities policy and all employees must be aware of their obligations to abide by the spirit and nature of the policy to avoid direct and indirect discrimination|